I hope everyone had a good Christmas celebration!
Just like what I had written in my last post, our family has been busy merry-making and attending parties and holding our own! Now, I am trying to catch some breath here and finally have some time to sit down and share with you a simple recipe for our Christmas party.
We held our Christmas party in our house and had a steamboat dinner and yummy Hainanese Chicken Rice wholly prepared by Kel. Since I did not want to steal the limelight from the main chef, I decided to make a kids-friendly dessert with my kids. I learnt this from The Planning Queen, one of my favourite mum-blogger. This is a super easy to make dessert and looks super cute too!
Dessert – Santa hats desserts
500g of strawberries (choose strawberries that have similar size)
110g of chocolate (you can use either white chocolate or normal chocolate)
1 teaspoon of canola oil
A pack of marshmellows
A pack of dessicated coconut
1. Cut the base of the strawberries to make it flat.
2. Break the chocolate bar inside a bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute and take it out to stir. If it doesn’t melt completely, microwave for 10 secs burst till it melts completely.
3. Add a teaspoon of canola oil to the melted chocolate and blend it completely. This is to thin the chocolate for easy dipping.
4. Dip the strawberry into the melted chocolate to about 0.5 cm covering the base.
5. Put the strawberry into a bowl of dessicated coconut. Use your finger to flick the coconut up the chocolate dipped sides of the strawberry. Avoid moving the strawberry in the bowl as this will leave some chocolate behind.
6. Place the strawberry onto a non-stick baking tin.
7. Cut the marshmellows into smaller pieces. Use a chopstick to dab some chocolate on top of the strawberry. Then stick on the marshmellows on it.
Tada… there’s the cute Santa hats desserts!
Put into the fridge for about an hour to allow the chocolate to set in. And you can serve to your guests!
This is a simple recipe that my kids find very easy to make and suits the Christmas party.
However, the original recipe uses white chocolate which gives it a cleaner look than dark chocolate. Also, I bought a wrong unsweetened bar of chocolate that gives the Santa hats dessert a bitterness which contrasts the sweetness of the strawberries. So, the next time I make, I will try it out with white sweetened chocolate.
Do you have simple kids-friendly desserts recipe to share? I would love to learn from you!